Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
The Hex Files
Stats:
Published:
2005-09-19
Completed:
2005-09-19
Words:
70,013
Chapters:
23/23
Comments:
4
Kudos:
175
Bookmarks:
87
Hits:
7,876

How the Other Half Lives

Summary:

Sequel to NLB--Harry and Draco learn about domestic bliss from their friends. MPREG

Notes:

Note from SeparatriX, the archivist: this story was originally archived at The Hex Files, which was closed for financial and health reasons. To preserve the archive, I began manually importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in August 2016. I e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact me using the e-mail address on The Hex Files collection profile.

Chapter 1: Visitation

Chapter Text

BAM! BAMBAMBAM!

Draco rolled away from Harry with a groan. “Someone’s at the door,” he muttered, nudging Harry with his elbow.

BAMBAMBAMBAMBAM!

Harry grunted and raised his head. “What?” he said sleepily.

“Someone’s at the door,” Draco repeated.

Harry lay his head back down. “So go see who it is,” he grumbled.

The banging had ceased, and now the two men, who had been resting peacefully in their bed, could hear quite a ruckus on their front porch. They couldn’t make out what was being said, but there was definitely a loud, screeching female involved.

“I don’t have any clothes on,” Draco grumbled back, shoving at Harry with his feet.

“Blimey,” Harry cursed, flinging the covers off and sitting up right. “Neither do I. Where are my pants?” he asked as he shoved his glasses on.

Draco reached around on his side of the bed and finally found them. “Right where I left them,” he said as he handed them over to his mate. Harry tugged them on and went down the stairs to the front door.

“Get your bloody hands OFF of me! I’m family, you idiot!” the loud female voice shrieked.

“Ma’am, if you’ll just please come down to the guesthouse, we’ll be happy to inform Mr. Potter and Mr. Malfoy of your arrival in the morning-OHHH!” a male voice howled.

Harry groaned as he opened the door. “Hello Ginny,” he said wearily.

Ginny Weasley was standing on their front porch, looming over the doubled over front gate guard that Harry and Draco employed to keep people off their property. It was the middle of November, but despite the cold, she was wearing a shockingly short and low cut black dress, shot through with sparkling silver. Her hair was curly and wild and she wore heavy black eye makeup, which was quite smeared around her heavily lidded eyes. She turned and staggered towards Harry at the sound of his voice. She was obviously very drunk.

“Big brother,” she cooed seductively as she threw herself in his arms. She had never really gotten over her crush on Harry, she had just lost patience and moved on. As a boy, she had thought he was the most adorable, vulnerable looking thing she had ever seen. As a man, however, he was far from vulnerable, and utterly gorgeous. His body was rock hard and super defined from his training as a professional Quidditch player, and his unruly black hair was just as sexy as ever. His power and easy confidence was just the icing on the cake, as far as she was concerned.

Harry caught her deftly and looked over her shoulder at the guard. “I’m sorry, mate. Didn’t hurt you too bad, did she?”

The man shook his head no. “You all right with her?” he asked his employer.

Harry staggered back a bit against Ginny’s dead weight in his arms. “Yeah, fine. See you tomorrow,” he answered.

The guard waved and, cupping his testicles gingerly, Apparated back to his post.

“Ginny, what on earth is the matter?” Harry asked.

Ginny looked up at his big green eyes and sighed. She threw her arms around his neck and pressed herself against his bare chest. “You so don’t look like one of my geeky brothers,” she breathed. Harry’s face screwed up at the smell of alcohol that assaulted him. “Give your little sister a kiss,” she said, and planted her lips firmly on Harry’s.

“Just because you’re a drunken mess doesn’t mean that I won’t hex your eyebrows off, Virginia Weasley. Unhand my husband,” Draco said from the stairs.

Ginny pulled away from a horribly blushing Harry and glared at Draco. “You always were so fucking selfish, Draco Malfoy. You should share,” she said, dragging a long black fingernail down Harry’s chest. He sputtered and moved her out in front of him, then marched her into the living room, Draco following close behind.

“Do they not have clocks in London love?” Draco asked. “Because that would explain why you’ve come knocking on our door at three in the morning, completely pissed out of your mind. Where’s your better half?”

Harry dumped Ginny unceremoniously on the couch and went into the kitchen to make coffee for the drunken girl.

“Blaise?” Ginny asked in a high-pitched voice that sounded dangerously close to the edge of hysterical. “I imagine he’s still at the club with some blonde’s tits in his face. At least that’s where I left him. Mind if I smoke?” she asked, lighting a cigarette.

“Yes,” Harry and Draco said in unison as Draco took the stick from her and extinguished it and Harry forced a cup of strong black coffee in her hands. He had put a shot of Sleeping Potion in it for good measure.

“Another day in paradise?” Draco asked sarcastically. Harry shot him a look and he innocently looked back.

Ginny and Blaise had been engaged for over two years now, as was evident by the obscenely huge ring she wore on her left finger. Using Blaise’s trust money and Ginny’s brain, they had opened a very popular S & M themed dance club on Knockturn Alley. It was legendary throughout the wizarding underground in London as the place to be seen and party the night away. Harry and Draco had been a couple of times themselves, as a show of support. Since their engagement, Blaise and Ginny had broken up dozens of times. This was the first time she had shown up at Harry and Draco’s door, however.

“Shut up, Malfoy. At least we’re not holed away in the countryside like two old fogies, tending our gardens and buying up boring Muggle corporations,” she snapped at him. It was true, Harry and Draco rarely left Montrose except for away games for Harry or the occasional unavoidable business meeting for Draco. He was something of a wunderkind when it came to business affairs, and had his hand in several companies, both wizard and Muggle. He usually sent Mr. Vanmere, his attorney, as his representative, but sometimes his presence was required.

“I mean, honestly, you’re not even twenty-two yet Draco, and you’d think that the world stopped in bloody Montrose. How the two of you keep from dying of boredom, I’ll never know,” she said, pouting.

Harry smiled at her. “I’ve had quite enough excitement for one lifetime, thank you. And I don’t consider these constant dramatics of yours exciting. I think it this would be rather boring, really,” he said.

Ginny’s eyes were growing heavy. “Harry, did you drug me?” she slurred. The last thing she saw before she fell asleep was Harry smiling over her.

“Harry!” Draco said, shocked. “You did drug her!”

Harry picked her up and threw her over his shoulder, tugging at her dress that refused to quite cover her arse. “Did you want to stay up all night and listen to her bitch about Blaise?”

Draco smiled at him indulgently. “You are a mystery, Harry Potter. I must say, you never fail to amaze me,” he said as he followed Harry up the stairs.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

After Harry had put Ginny to bed in the guest bedroom, he joined Draco in theirs. Draco pulled the covers up for him to climb in next to him, then quickly snuggled up, sticking his feet on the backs of Harry’s legs underneath his pajama pants.

“Draco, your feet are freezing!” Harry gasped.

“I know, that’s why I’m putting them on you. You’re always so warm,” he purred as he rubbed his face against Harry’s back. Harry just harrumphed.

A half an hour past and Draco was unable to go to sleep. He didn’t hear Harry’s usual light snoring next to him, which meant that he must be lying awake as well. He tried to catch some of Harry’s thoughts, only to find that Harry had his mind closed to him.

“Potter, what’s the matter? You’re keeping me up,” he said. He began to run his hand over Harry’s taut stomach, thinking he could provide a sleep aid if necessary.

Harry turned on his back and looked at Draco. “Are you bored?” he asked.

Draco smiled down at him, highly amused. “Ah. The young Ms. Weasley has set that doubting mind of yours to work, I see. No, love, I am not bored. Are you?”

Harry shook his head. “No, I meant what I said. I’ve had enough bloody excitement for a while. If you and I fought like they do all the time, I’d go mental. I don’t see how they stand it. Still, she is right. We are really young, and we are really settled in our ways. It doesn’t…bother you?”

Draco smiled at the uncertainty in Harry’s eyes. He had saved the entire wizarding world from evil, he had led his Quidditch team to win the European World Cup the last four years running and was poised to do so again this year, had women and more than a few men throwing themselves at his feet everywhere he went-if anyone was worshipped, it was Harry. Yet he was still the same insecure boy Draco had known at Hogwarts.

“You really are from a different planet, my love,” Draco said as he kissed Harry deeply. They had been together almost six years, and every time they kissed this way, Draco felt his stomach flutter and his limbs weaken. Bored, indeed. He ran his hands up and down Harry’s body, eliciting small moans of pleasure from his black haired mate. “Nothing about us bothers me,” he whispered.

“Are you sure? I mean…..gah…” Harry said as Draco lightly grasped his growing arousal and cut him off with another kiss.

“I’m sure, love,” the blonde said as he divested Harry of his pajama pants.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ginny woke the next morning with her head spinning and her stomach rolling with nausea. “Shit,” she whined as she stood from the bed. She doubled over as her stomach lurched unpleasantly. When she was fairly certain that she wasn’t going to puke, she made her way downstairs.

She found Harry and Draco in the kitchen, Harry frying eggs and Draco standing behind him with his arms around his waist. They were obviously communicating telepathically as they would occasionally burst out in boyish laughter and tug and pinch at each other playfully despite the fact that they weren’t speaking. Ginny watched them enviously for a moment from the doorway, until the smell of the eggs overtook her. With a hand clasped over her mouth, she ran towards the nearest bathroom.

Both young men looked over their shoulders and just saw her vivid red hair as she disappeared around the corner.

“Ginny?” Harry called, concerned.

Draco patted him on the stomach. “I’ll go. You cook, woman,” he ordered.

Harry smacked him firmly on his arse as he walked away. “Be nice,” Harry intoned.

“Ow, brute,” Draco said off handedly as he rubbed the spot Harry had just hit with a playful pout on his lips. “When am I not nice?” he called back. Behind him, he heard Harry snort at this comment. He made his way to the bathroom, where he could clearly hear Ginny retching. Gods but I hate when people puke, he thought to himself as he pushed the door open.

Ginny was kneeling before the toilet, clutching the sides for all it was worth. Draco’s nose scrunched up as he wetted a cloth for her, willing himself not to be sick as well.

“Ginny, you never could handle your liquor. Perhaps you should find another form of debauchery to indulge in,” he said as he pulled her hair up off her neck and wiped the cool cloth across the nape. She shivered involuntarily.

“Shut it, Draco. I’m not sick from the alcohol. I’m pregnant,” she said as she leaned back against the wall and ran the cloth over her face.

Draco looked at her in shocked silence for a moment before finally speaking. “Oh, Ginny. Does Blaise know?” he said with more tenderness than she would have ever imagined he could muster. She shook her head no.

Draco had been firmly at Hermione’s side for her first pregnancy as it had come just as Ron had been moved up to the main team and was working double time at practices. She had been terrified, so the two of them, being the bookish sorts they were (though Draco would never admit to being bookish) had done what seemed natural to them and read every piece of literature they could find regarding pregnancy. Draco probably knew more about the process than most midwives.

“You really shouldn’t be drinking, Ginny, particularly at this early stage. Or smoking for that matter. The developing fetus is at a very delicate point-“

Ginny’s bitter laughter cut him off. “I’m not keeping it Draco. Can you imagine what kind of parents we’d be?”

Draco slid down the wall next to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Shocked again by his gentleness, Ginny leaned her head against his arm.

“Why did you come here?” he asked her.

Again, Ginny laughed bitterly. “Any one of my brothers would kill Blaise, even though I am more than a willing victim. My mother would die if she knew I weren’t going to have it. Harry’s family-I had no where else to go.”

“No, Ginny, I mean, why didn’t you just take care of it if you’re sure you don’t want it. You don’t need our permission,” Draco continued. He was trying to make a point, but the girl wasn’t getting it.

“I don’t expect you to understand, Draco. You’re not a woman, no matter how many times Harry fucks you,” she spat. Draco let it slide with only the raise of an eyebrow. “I’m sorry,” she said wearily. “I just need time to come to terms with it. I only just found out.”

Draco gave her a quick squeeze and stood. “You’re welcome to stay as long as you like. But you have to tell Harry. It’s only fair. This is his house, too, so I guess he has a right to know.”

Ginny nodded weakly and held out her hand. Draco took it and pulled her to her feet.